Florida law is very strict about domestic violence. It is considered a criminal offense and is charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances. The state is very serious about protecting victims, which means, if the police are called, someone is getting arrested. This can happen even if the victim argues against it.
Domestic violence is treated differently from other crimes in other ways too. For example,
- You cannot post bail until you see a judge, for example, and even if you do post bond, you may not be allowed contact with the victim or even back in your own house as a condition of bond.
- The State decides if you will be prosecuted or not; the victim cannot withdraw their accusation and have the case dropped.
- You cannot seal and expunge a domestic violence case. Ever.
For these reasons and more it is very important to take certain precautions when you are arrested for domestic violence in Florida.
The Do’s and Don’ts After You’ve Been Charged With Domestic Violence
- DO cooperate with police. Nothing good ever comes from trying to evade police or becoming belligerent or violent with the arresting officers. It can make your situation look worse than it is and lead to additional charges.
- DO NOT make a statement or enter a plea. “Anything you say can and will be used against you.” That’s true of any crime, but most especially in cases of domestic violence. In fact, the way you say things can even be held against you in these situations. It’s better for your case to keep quiet and not try to argue your case or make a plea. Hire an attorney and let them do the talking for you.
- DO contact Fighter Law for assistance with your domestic violence case. As we said above, domestic violence cases are unique in the way they are handled and prosecuted. To achieve the best outcome possible, you’ll want to work with an attorney who has experienced defending against domestic violence charges. Use your phone call to ask a friend or family member to contact The Fighter Law Firm right away so we can start reviewing the evidence and building your defense.
Domestic Violence Consultations Are Always Free
If you have been charged with domestic violence, don’t leave anything to chance. Contact The Fighter Law Firm in Orlando at 407-574-7576 to arrange a free consultation. We understand how these cases are prosecuted and will work with the prosecutors to have your charges reduced or dismissed.
We value customer service and explain our process during your consultation. No high-pressure sales tactics from our law firm, what you see is what you get. Call us at 407-344-4837 to set up your free consultation with an attorney – not a caseworker. We represent clients throughout Orange County and Seminole County.